Tuesday, February 01, 2005

"Making a Break For Freedom"

I came across this piece in the Telluride Daily Planet the other week. Writer David Feela tells the story of a normally complacent horse suddenly freeing himself from his confines, even though it means going through barbed wire.

Feela writes, "As [the owner] led the horse out, I suddenly knew how such a placid animal could have behaved so rashly, charging a barbed wire fence. The last time it happened to me, I wound up in western Colorado. But I was pulling a trailer packed with a few hundred necessities. I unpacked them all [and] took a deep breath of the clear Western air.... I'd like to think that that horse and me are some kind of kin--patient, yet yearning for the unbridled life. We make our halfhearted breaks for freedom, searching for a slightly different perspective of that same old mountain."

I'll be joining them in their search in just 5 short months.

Meanwhile, here's a picture of my newly adopted "hometown," Norwood, CO.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home