Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mow Against the Grain

Well, friends, it's hard to believe that my First Norwood Anniversary has come and gone. Some days it feels like I've been here a month, other days it feels like I've been here half my life.

There was a lot of hullabaloo on my anniversary weekend--so much so that I forgot to take note of it. My parents, sister, and brother-in-law were here to help spruce up Rancho Deluxe a little, and my friend Stacey came out for a visit from L.A.
stacey family
Stacey mentioned how scared she had been for me last year, when it seemed like I was completely uprooting my life to go live in a tiny town without a good job lined up and far from my friends. She was able to see for herself that everything worked out ok.

I was finally able to do a bit of reflecting on the past year as I was mowing my new backyard with my new Honda lawnmower around the deck housing my new propane grill. (I think having a house to take care of brings out the inner-Hank Hill in me. Of course, Hank's lucky enough to have a riding mower. I'm stuck pushing mine. Did I mention that I don't believe I've ever had to push a lawnmower before? It's amazing how much bigger the yard seems as soon as I pull the mower out.) I have to say, I think my lawnmower helps separate the men from the boys--there are those who really admire it, and then there are those who glance at it curiously & hope they won't be asked to touch it.

And to be perfectly honest, I was feeling a bit glum because I had just been unceremoniously dumped by a fellow I was dating. Although our courtship was very short-lived, it was one that I felt had great potential. (Of course, we all know I've been wrong about that before.) But a night or two after the realization that this guy wasn't going to be calling me again, I had a dream in which every friend of mine in Telluride came up to me & hugged me. I could palpibly feel myself being soothed by their collective good will as I slept. And when I awoke I realized that I had been gifted a vision of truth--that no single person can emotionally hurt me because there's a wonderful majority that embraces me just as I am.

I still can't believe I've accomplished so much in 1 year, when it seemed like I was getting very little accomplished in L.A. Much to my surprise (and delight) I actually achieved 4 major goals within 12 months: I found a great job (I mean 3), I made more time for myself (even with the 3 jobs!), I bought a house, and I have a bunch of great friends looking out for me.

I'm even hangin' with a new man already. He's got soft red hair, big brown eyes, and a cute little backside that just won't quit. And he cries when I leave him. I'd like to introduce you all to Joe--Joe - 7/24/06
I had a strange feeling I'd meet someone special as soon as I bought my house. I just didn't realize he'd have 4 legs! (And that I would have to engage in potty-training...)

Hank Hill says you should "mow against the grain" for a better lawn. I have no idea how to determine the "grain" of a lawn. I only know how to mow against the grain of normality for a better life. Maybe I should make one of my goals for next year to find a man who not only admires my lawnmower, but would find great pleasure in taking it for a spin around my yard every weekend. Let him figure out which way the grain goes!

In the meantime, I'll just keep repeating my profoundly true motto from last year: Life Is Good.

9 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cindy,
I'm so dang proud of and happy for you. Yes, I was worried you'd lost your head when you picked up and moved to Tellluride, but I saw that this was what you were meant to do. And give Joe lots of hugs and kisses for me! He's adorable!!!!

Ciao,
Stacey

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I have Joe? Put him in a big box and stick three postage stamps on it. That'll work. He is the cutest. I can hardly wait to meet him at the festival. We are very excited to see you...I hope we have time to see your house. And, yes, you have lots of hugs all around you all the time. Even though we are far far away, we send you hugs often.
Much love, Cath and Brian xox

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy,

Can it already be a year? It's been SO worth doing it. And the wee dog? Adorable!

James x
P.S. I watch Hank Hill every day

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cin, as always, it's a pleasure to read your blog. Congrats on your anniversary and Joe, a dependable love in your life. We all need one or two.
I'm with Cath and Brian. Can't wait to see your new digs and you're always surrounded by hugs, even if they are miles away. The countdown is on! Wow, only a month away. See you soon. Jules

 
At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya Cindy

I believe that critter's a keeper.

Take care and be well.
John.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Jenny Rose said...

Cindy,

You've accomplished more in one year than most folks do in 10. I'm so proud of you! You're an inspiration to those who pull up their pants, look into the horizon and just... go to where your heart takes you! I know... am going through it right now...

Joe is dang cute!! He's a lucky little puppy to have such a caring mommy!

Take care Cindy and keep dreaming of friends coming up to you... because we really are!

Love,

Jenny

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I cudda gone there wiz U
Anyhow no more KZLA except online [sob]

 
At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Friend,

I'm so happy to hear that you are happy, healthy and loving life!

I moved to San Diego and am now working at a museum. Thanks for setting the example of following your heart, it gave me courage to do the same!

Miss Ya!
Rita C.

 
At 4:41 AM, Anonymous online shopping said...

Hey there

I'm so dang proud of and happy for you.

Regards
Hazel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home